2017 Regatta Report

Another successful regatta. I measure success by the response we get from our sailors. They enjoy our event for the sailing, the facilities EYC has for hosting this event, the food we serve, the camaraderie among them. It makes everyone come back year after year. No better compliment than that! Well done EYC, thank you sailors!

In the days leading up to our weekend the weather forecast was rather discouraging: cold and rain in the form of thunderstorms, with a slight chance of improving for Sunday. Kudos to the sailors who were not deterred by this and started showing up on Thursday, pitched their tents (or parked their motor homes) and rigged their boats. The rain certainly materialized and on Saturday morning it was cold (it is mid-June after all) and the sky dark.

Our Race Committee, headed by Richard Johnson, told the sailors about the risks of thunderstorms that he would monitor closely and order us off the water in case they would be developing over the lake. Luckily those did not materialize, but during the racing we had several squalls roll over us, causing rain, shifting winds and strongly fluctuating in strength. It made for interesting sailing. Those who had time, other than paying attention to the racing (from sailors to rescue boats and race committee), were treated with fabulous cloud formations in all shades from grey to black, broken up with bursts of sunshine. With the colorful sails contrasting the dark sky, it was a painter’s canvas. Sunday again the weather exceeded our expectations set by the forecast, giving us light winds, light cloud cover, no rain.

New for this year was our race course: Richard, after some persistent nudging from Roeland, accepted the challenge to set up an America’s Cup style course. It is a windward- leeward course with gates on both ends, with a starboard reach start and port reach finish.

All the sailors were quite excited about the prospect. Richard’s initial reservations were related to the possible large number of marks that had to be set (and reset with wind changes) and possible protests that may ensue due to the unfamiliarity with the course. Both concerns turned out to be unfounded, for one because we never had significant wind shifts and, two, our sailors are pretty laid back, giving others room when required. No protests were filed. An unintended benefit was the closeness of start and finish lines which meant less wait time until the next race.

After six races, the feedback from sailors and Race Committee was very positive. The sailors enjoyed the excitement of a mad dash for the turning mark. Richard reported that as the regatta progressed, the starts became more aggressive, as sailors became more familiar with the format.

Saturday’s racing started around 1:00 PM, later than Richard wanted, but it took time to get 20 boats out on the water from one ramp. We will need some improvement in launch logistics, utilizing more ramps and the beach. On the other hand, I think our sailors weren’t quite as convinced that racing would start as quick as the Race Committee was. If you know Richard though, if he calls for racing, it is time: wind is coming!

Launching was also slowed down by the wind direction (South), making the attenuator a formidable lee obstacle. Greg Cole had trouble getting his high-tech foiling A-Cat sail ready (this boat is not a beach cat!) and capsized onto the attenuator. Thankfully the limited damage was non-structural, but it kept Greg from sailing on Saturday.

The regatta was split in three fleets:
A-Cats – 5 (unfortunately a sixth entry had canceled earlier in the week due to an injury)
Hobie 16, double handed – 7
Handicap Fleet – 8. This group had two singled handed Hobie 16s, two Hobie 17s, three EYC Prindle 16s and Matt Fleishmann’s F-24 trimaran. Matt is the big boat among the beach cats, stealing all the wind from whoever is close. Everyone gave him a pass on that, after all he and his crew prepared our Sunday breakfast…….

We got three races in by 3:00 PM or so and sailors, Rescue crew and Race Committee all were chilled to the point that RC called it a day. Good call too, as shortly after we arrived back on shore the wind all but died.

Sunday started close to schedule, with the wind now from the north, again fluctuating in strength, but not in direction. RC gave each fleet three short races in rapid succession, worried about the wind holding up. We were on shore in time to have the awards ceremony by 3:00 PM, giving our “out of town” sailors time to make it back home still at a decent hour.

The A-Class fleet was dominated by Ken Marshack, with 6 wins. This result also awarded him the Overall “Live on the Edge” Pennant, our perpetual trophy. Ken will back next year to defend it. Roeland posted very consistent 2nds (5 in all), Randy was a consistent 3rd (5 in all), while Sandy had to yield two races to Greg on Sunday.

The Hobie 16 fleet was won by John Ped, our very last minute entry (at 11:01 AM actually). He was fortunate that we all were watching the live America’s Cup racing on TV, which slightly delayed our Skippers Meeting. Racing in this fleet was very competitive and close, trading first places among several boats.

The Portsmouth Fleet was won by EYC’s Dan Nicholson, on his Prindle 16, with EYC’s Larry Cox coming in second, also on a Prindle 16. Brand new EYC member and enthusiast Prindle 16 owner Elliott Dahl enjoyed himself on what was his first sail on his boat and on a beach cat in general. He was proud to have finished his first race and then steadily improved with each race. He got lots of ideas to tinker with and tips. Watch out for him on Thursday night racing.

The Team Winners were Dan Nicholson, Greg Cole and Josh Markovich, sailing under the Red/White Team flag.

A big thank you to all who volunteered to make this regatta happen:
Start Boat: Richard Johnson, Nan Weed, Mike Merrifield, John Ward
Finish Boat: Dean Mitchell, Joanne Jones, Kelly Reis, Jamie Skeen
Rescue: Dave Brown, Matt Sprick, Scott Landgreen, Glen Hughes, Gale Morgan, Rex Ballenger, Ron Fish, Phill Root
Friday’s welcome “Picnic at the gate”: Joanne Jones, Larry Cox
Saturday breakfast: Shelley Johnson
Saturday hors d’ouvres: Marie Johnson (fabulous!), pizzas: Marie and Richard Johnson
Sunday breakfast: Matt Fleischmann, Nick Tabet, Bret Diamond
Website: Charlie Magee
Regatta organization: Larry Cox, Dan Nicholson, Roeland Kapsenberg

2016 “Live on the Edge” Multihull Regatta
10th anniversary!

June 11/12 was the 10th edition of the “Live on the Edge” Multihull Regatta. The forecasted conditions earlier in the week, were not very promising; cool, overcast, chance of rain and perhaps even thunderstorms. Usually that means light or no wind. This did not deter the sailors to come. By Saturday morning we had 23 boats registered. And their determination was rewarded. It turned out to be a great weekend of sailing, with 4 races both on Saturday and Sunday.

Sailors already started to arrive on Thursday and took the opportunity to participate in the Thursday night club racing as a tuneup for the weekend. On Friday more did arrive, albeit later than usual, due to heavy traffic on I­5 between Seattle and Eugene. The trip to the regatta turned very sour for Valerie Pioszak, whose truck got hit by a car trying to pass, as she made a left turn close to EYC. Thankfully she was not injured, but her truck was totalled. Miraculously, her Hobie she was trailering was not hit. She was shaken, but sailing the next day.

By Saturday morning everyone had settled in, their boats rigged and ready. Skippers meeting was at 11:00 AM and at that time there was no wind. The forecast looked good however, with the wind slowly building through the afternoon. PRO Richard Johnson told us to wait a bit and as soon as the wind started to build he would call us out on the water. We didn’t have to wait too long, as by 2:00 PM the Race Committee’s horn urged us to get going. By the time the first start got underway, a nice breeze had settled in.

We had three fleets. Division 1, the boats with a Portsmouth Rating under 69, three A­Cats and a big F­31R trimaran. Depending on the breeze, that can be a strange mix; A­Cats just stay out of the way, the big boat has a big wind shadow. Division 2 were the boats with a Portsmouth rating >69 and we had a 10 boat Hobie 16 fleet. The latter thanks to Laura Sullivan, who worked hard to make the “Live on the Edge” Regatta count towards the Hobie championship and known among the Hobie sailors.

Saturday the wind remained steady throughout the afternoon and we did get four races in. Steady, in the sense that it stayed in the 10 ­12 mph range, but it was shifty and light spots across the course. In Division 1 the wind was too light for the F­31 to really get going and Sandy Dick was struggling to shake off his winter layover, it was only his second time sail for the year.

As a result, Randy and Roeland were trading wins, both ended the day with two wins and two second places. Randy got a DSQ in race 4, after he missed a mark: “what mark?” he replied, after he was asked by the finish boat if he had rounded it. It helps to remember the course when you start.

Division 2 had competitive racing behind Lonnie Byers, who scored 4 firsts. There was a lively trading of places between 2nd through 5th place over the 4 races. Last year’s Pennant winner, Kelly Havig, wasn’t on pace and in race three the pin, holding her forestay, broke and her mast came down. Thankfully no injuries and limited boat damage. The rescue boat towed her to Peter Nelson and Laura Sullivan dominated in the Hobie fleet, but Jay Rosenbach and Amy Twibell were able to pick them off in race 4. Overall the fleet saw close competitive racing with aggressive starts from all sailors.

After racing we enjoyed a cool craft beer, or two, and our traditional pizza dinner. Sandy Dick gave a presentation about his experiences on Dragonfly, an F­40 catamaran on which he is the mainsheet trimmer. They capsized last year in the Around the County race, which made sailing headlines. Gladly all crew survived, with Sandy to tell us the story. This is not a beach cat that you simply flip back up again. Check their website: http://dragonflysailing.com/

Our 10th anniversary raffle had a special prize; a wrist wearable GPS multifunctional device, which was won by Don Kaster. Unfortunately the device was delayed by UPS, but rest assured, it arrived on Monday and is expedited to Don.

Sunday’s conditions were great early on, and by 10:00 AM we were back on the water. Richard sent us off on long races. It did get light and fluky at times, but overall excellent sailing conditions.

In Division1, the F­31R had retired after having the spinnaker hung up in the spreader and tearing a big rip in it in race 4. This left the fleet to the three A­Cats, who had close racing.

Roeland ended up with three firsts and a second (securing Div 1 1st place), despite having misread the fifth race’s course and crossing the finish after the first lap only to have to unwind it and get back racing again to do the second lap. Sandy found his groove too and was much more competitive. Racing was close, especially in race 8, all three finished within 20 seconds from each other, Randy taking the win and Div 1 2nd place.

Division 2 saw more consistency on Sunday. However, Rich Ameson and Gerald Valeske/Will Nelson were both able to steal a win from Lonnie Byers. Kelly Havig had been able to re­rig her H17 with help from Jason Vasquez, but without the jib. Her handicap could not be changed mid-regatta, but nevertheless her scores were considerably better than the day before. She was on fire, back in form; a great comeback. This came partly at the expense of Dan Nicholson, who had scored consistently in the top on Saturday, but had to yield to Kelly on Sunday. Lonnie took the Div 2 win, with Rich second and Gerald/Will third place.

The Hobie fleet also saw more consistency between the races than on Saturday. Again Pete and Laura dominated the score. This time it was Martin and his 10 year old son Daniel who were able to steal a race win, with second places in all other races. What better way to get the youth hooked on sailing! Jay and Amy were consistent with third finishes in three of the races.

These made up the top three in the final score. Close competitive racing throughout the fleet, what more can you ask for!

The Team prize was won by Team Blue/Red: Peter Nelson/Laura Sullivan, Gerald Valeske/Will Nelson, Larry Cox, Jay Rosenbach/Amy Twidell.

Overall winners and winner of the perpetual “Live on the Edge” Pennant were Peter Nelson/Laura Sullivan. The Pennant was handed over to Peter and Laura by last year’s winner, Kelly Havig. This is the second time Laura has won the Pennant.

Our 10th edition of ”Live on the Edge” deserves recognition to those who have been there for us throughout all 10 years.

Our meal preparers:

Friday’s supper, which started out as “Picnic at the Gate”, by Joanne Jones and Larry Cox;

Saturday’s breakfast by Shelley Johnson and Nick Tabett, (although Nick was out of town this Saturday’s pizza extravaganza by Marie and Richard Johnson

Sunday’s breakfast by Matt Fleischman (and crew most of the years)

Race Committee: Richard Johnson, Rich Aaring, Karen Nousen

Finish Boat: Kenn Meneely, Joanne Jones, Jaime Skeen

Rescue boats: Dave Brown, John and Teri Ward, Salty Green, Gale Morgan, Ron Fish and newbie Ken Hoffman

Website: Charlie Magee

Organizing committee: Roeland Kapsenberg, Larry Cox, Dan Nicholson

EYC members for the upgrades in the clubhouse and restrooms and keeping the grounds so inviting.

Thank you all for making our regatta a memorable event for our sailors. It keeps them coming back year after year. See you next year!

2015 “Live in the Edge” Multihull Regatta, one for the record books!

What a great weekend it was; warm, sunny, windy and a great group of sailors spending a lot of time on the water. Temperatures in the low 80′s and steady winds of 14-16 with gusts up to 20 knots. And that was measured at the EYC dock, out on the lake wind speed could have been a bit higher. It does not get much better than that. All these wonderful ingredients made it easy for the Race Committee; they could set a long course using the full length of the lake and no need to reset during the day.

We had four fleets: three one design: Hobie 16 (6 boats), Hobie 14 (2 boats), A-Cat (3 boats), and one handicap fleet (9 boats (10 on Sunday)).

Given the good conditions, the Race Committee summoned the sailors out on the water by noon. Travis Thompson, crew on the 2014 Overall Winner and now on a loaned P16 which he was not familiar with, must have decided to be prepared for everything and pitch poled the boat before racing even had started. He was not the only one; Gerald Valeske had local youth sailor Max DiMarco as his crew and in an apparent attempt to get Max hooked forever to catamaran sailing, in one of the races capsized near the top mark where it was quite gusty.

RC got us off on a 2 lap windward/leeward course, which turned out to be close to an hour long race. With that experience, the RC kept us going with a triangle+W/L and another two 2xW/L races. While the wind was consistent throughout the day, on the lake there were patches with light and shifty air that were hard to see and predict. They seemed to roll down the middle of the course. Going way left or right appeared the right thing to do, but at some point you had to cross to get to the mark.

Dominance was established on Saturday in each fleet: in the A-cats Stan Breed was consistently the fastest, same for Kelly Havig in the handicap fleet. Dan Nicholson had some trouble with the top mark, he missed rounding the offset mark in the first two races.  After a rough first race, Laura Sullivan and Pete Nelson found their groove and dominated from there on in the H16. John Ped was right there behind them in every race. The family rivalry in the H14 was convincingly decided in favor of Valerie Pioszak, with four wins.

After all this hard work, the RC got us back on shore in time for refreshments, provided by Ninkasi Brewing Company and some fabulous appetizers, prepared by Marie Johnson. Followed by our traditional pizzas.

The raffle tuned out to become a bargaining stage as Keven Dickey was trying to trade his $20 gift certificate for a much more valuable item he had a use for. Rumors are that he succeeded.

On Sunday the conditions were the same as Saturday and by 10 AM we were all on the water on our way to the South end of the lake to the starting line.

The A-Cats got off in the same fashion as the day before with Stan Breed leading all the way. This much to the chagrin of Roeland Kapsenberg, who tried everything to change the pecking order. In the second race he was close on the transom of Stan rounding the top mark, but lost control and capsized. In third race fortunes changed. Stan took the right side of the course going upwind, Roeland and Randy Nikolai took the left side. Roeland managed to capsize again, this time in a tack and Randy took off. At the top mark, it was Randy ahead followed by, Roeland and Stan in third place. This order was kept until the last downwind gate, when Randy and Stan took the right side and Roeland the left side of the course, which proved to be the winning move. Randy managed to stay ahead of Stan and finished in second place.

In the H16 fleet Laura and Pete continued their pace found on Saturday adding another three wins. In the handicap fleet Kelly had to concede to Dan Nicholson in race 6 and added two more wins to her score card. Todd Morrill joined the fray by single handing his H16. On Saturday he crewed for Mike Marriott, who’s crew did show up on Sunday.

The H14 took it easy and went back to shore with only one race on Sunday.

With seven races sailed, there was one toss-out and that resulted in only 6 points for each of the fleet winners. Well done!

The Team Cup was won by the Red/Blue team of Valerie Pioszak, Gerald Valeske, Larry Cox, Laura Sullivan. The Overall Pennant was claimed by Kelly Havig. With her near perfect score in the largest fleet, she came out well ahead of her nearest challenger, Stan Breed.

This Regatta could not be made successful without wind and sunshine, nor without the enthusiasm of these individuals:

Race Committee: Richard Johnson, Rich Aaring, John Franklin, Gordon Mattatal

Finish boat: Ken Meneely, Joanne Jones

Rescue boats, mark settings: Dave Brown, Kaylee Brown, Phill Root, Gale Morgan, Ron Fish, Glen Hughes, Matt Sprick, Jim Hill

Friday supper: Joanne Jones

Saturday breakfast: Nick Tabet, Shelley Johnson

Saturday dinner: Marie Johnson, Richard Johnson, Debbie Collins

Sunday breakfast: Matt Fleischmann, Dave and Carla Lux

On shore: Larry Cox, Joanne Jones, Sandy Franklin, Debbie Collins, Dan Nicholson, Jason Vasquez, Charlie Magee, Roeland Kapsenberg

Thank you volunteers!

We can look back at a wonderful weekend with fantastic racing and a great atmosphere. Thank you sailors for making trip, from as far as Reno and Seattle. We hope to see you again next year!

Roeland, Regatta chair

Postscript: My double capsizes came at a price: early Monday morning I ended up in the ER and was diagnosed with a sprained knee and shoulder! I am not 20 anymore….

2014 Regatta Report

A wonderful weekend of sailing. The winds were light at times, but enough for our excellent race committee to get up to six races in, over the two days. It is all a matter of being in the right place at the right time and we had boats at a starting line and marks set when the winds picked up. Great job! On the course it often was also a matter being in the right place. There were plenty of holes on the course and it is always bitter to be stopped dead and see your competition trapped out, sailing away.

Friday afternoon started off on the wrong foot, as the gate to our grounds decided to act as a guillotine (anyone seen the ’80-ies move “De Lift” (aka “Down”)?). It ended badly for the gate as well as for Jeff and Lynn Rickard’s RV trying to enter. Thankfully no bodily injuries and there is insurance to cover the rest. Our sincere apologies for this malfunction and the damage caused.

With a total of 26 boats entered, split over 4 fleets, we were able to make two one-design fleets, one with the three Hobie 14s and one with eleven Hobie 16s. The remaining entries were split in a High Portsmouth and a Low Portsmouth rating fleet, the split being Portsmouth rating 69, both fleets having 6 entries.

 The Race Committee likes to get the Low Portsmouth fleet started first, so they do not run into the slower fleets which they would overtake if starting after those. It became immediately clear that there was big speed gap within the fleet. Upwind the four A-Cats could (kind of) keep up with Peter Schmaltzer’s Nacra 20 carbon, but once the he rounded the top mark and put his spinnaker up, it was a horizon job – every race. The A-Cats struggle downwind in light air, just not enough sail area. Gerald Valeske took it easy on his F-18; his crew Bruce Ped was on a sailboat for the first time ever, trying to experience why his son John (racing in the H16 fleet) is into sailing. An F-18 is not quite the ideal beginner boat, but on the other hand, Bruce now “gets it”, about his son’s love for sailing!

Peter was untouchable and took six firsts in six races. The real battle was among the four A-Cats, who had very close finishes at times. Stan Breed won that battle convincingly and took second place after Peter. Randy Nikolai took third place, but the other two A-Cats were only two and three points behind.

The three H14s were a family affair. The Groesz family maintains a family fleet of Hobies and use the “Live on the Edge” regatta as a family reunion, it seems. They certainly are all enthusiastic sailors, besides making up the H14 fleet, they also had an entry in the H16 fleet. They are great supporters and promoters of our regatta and attend every year. Valerie Pioszak took the win by finishing first in all three races sailed on Saturday. The H14s decided not to race on Sunday, perhaps Valerie who talked her dad and brother into staying ashore?

The H16 fleet was a fleet with a wide range of expectations. They sailed three races on Saturday and got two races in on Sunday. It is of course great to be able to sail one-design, no need to wait for finish times to be calculated to find out how you did. Tim Webb took first place with only 8 points, two first and three second places, closely followed by John Ped who took two wins, two seconds and  third to finish only one point behind Tim. Great battle between these two! The gap with third placed Aaron Harris was substantial. Aaron secured third place with 22 points, closely followed by Don Kaster who took fourth place with 23 points. Special mention deserves Will Nelson, who only sailed on Saturday and was right in the top with a first, a fourth and a third place in the three races on Saturday. It is great to see the next generation sailors, John and Will, being so competitive.

The High Portsmouth fleet consisted of two Prindle 16s, two Hobie 18s, one Hobie 17 and one Nacra 5.2. The ratings are not that far apart and the Prindles can be quite competitive. Light wind expert Larry Cox proved this with a second place in race one and strong wind expert Dan Nicholson with win in race three. But the wind strength, varying considerably during and between races, made it difficult for either Larry or Dan to be consistent and they managed to take 4th and 3rd place respectively. There was more consistency between Kelly Havig and Laura Sullivan/Peter Nelson who traded 1st and 2nd places throughout the regatta. In the end Laura/Peter on their H18 took first place with 8 points, with Kelly on her H17 close behind with 10 points in second place. Jeff and Lynn Rickard may have been compensating a minimum weight issue, as they had a radio strapped to the wing to make up for it. It could be though, that it took the focus off their racing to some extent.

For good fun we split our sailors up in teams of four boats (and a minimum number of three boat teams as number of entries dictate), identified by team flags and spread over the fleets as much as possible. It was the Blue/White flagged team of Laura Sullivan, Larry Cox, Randy Nikolai and Tim Web who took the win. Congratulations!

Overall Regatta winner was, beyond any doubt, Peter Schmaltzer with his convincing 6 wins in the Low Portsmouth Fleet. Last year’s winner Dan Nicholson handed over the “Live on the Edge” Pennant to him. Peter can enjoy flying the Pennant for a year and is invited to be back next year to defend it, no regatta fee required. Great win, congratulations!

Saturday night entertainment started off with Bill Groesz who had a great story, with props, on the early days of Hobie Cat. It was fun to hear how the Hobie empire came to be, sprouting from a surfer dude who had an idea and started in his dad’s garage.

Gerald Valeske brought fantastic footage of Laura and Peter at the H16 worlds in Australia last year. Big winds and dramatic capsizes, taken with an onboard camera, made for exhilarating video. They must have been exhausted after such rides, but they both exclaimed it was all worth it. And we loved to see it! Thanks so much Gerald!

Thank you to all the volunteers who made it happen again:

Race Committee: Richard Johnson (PRO),Rich Aaring, John Franklin, Andy Nousen

Finish boat: Nan Weed, Kenn & Chris Meneely, Joanne Jones

Rescue boats: Dave Brown, Karen Nousen, Gale Morgan, Salty Green, Gordon Mattatal, Glen Hughes

Shore crew: Joanne Jones, Leta Sellers, Charlie Magee, Larry Cox, Dan Nicholson, Ken Lefton, Roeland Kapsenberg

Friday supper: Joanne Jones

Saturday breakfast: Nick Tabet, Shelley Johnson

Saturday dinner: Richard and Marie Johnson

Sunday breakfast: Matt Fleischmann, Dave & Carla Lux,




Video of the 2013 Regatta!

Thanks to Karen Nousen for putting together this great video. The action is fast, the shots are great, and the editing is on the beat. Check it out!

Raffle winners make it to the Oracle base!

Grand prize of our [2013] raffle was a tour for 10 people of Oracle Team USA Americas Cup’s base in San Francisco. The 10 lucky winners,  Nat and Tara Powning, Ken and Debbie Marshack, Shelley Johnson, Nick Tabet, Jerry Valeske, Laura Sullivan, Tim Webb and Elijah Walker, wasted no time to coordinate schedules. Nat Powning reports:

I think the tour of Team Oracle’s base exceeded everyone’s expectations as well as the trip to San Francisco in general.  The entire crew arrived on-time Tuesday morning (June 18, ed) with the first spectacle being the giant trimaran with which the last campaign was won being re-painted in the yard where we were let into the campus.  They’re refinishing it to look pretty and moving down to sit as a spectacle with the stick mast at Oracle’s headquarters.

Inside we put on our guest badges, were told to keep our cameras put away, and began the tour/ushering through the huge building where everyone eats, trains/exercises, and builds boats.  We really lucked out as the breeze was too strong all day and so both 72′s were inside and being worked on.  We might not have been allowed to take pictures but they sure didn’t hold us back from really inspecting and even touching everything.  At one point Ken nearly had to be torn away from one of the rudders of the 2nd AC72 as he took his time getting quite fresh with the boat.  People were busy working away making tweaks to both boats the entire time with us nearly getting in their way.

We got to see it all.  Looked inside the wings which were laying horizontally on dollies with dozens of computer lights flashing inside.  Checked out the sail loft where they’re customizing the massive surprisingly heavy soft sails for the 72′s.  Of course they have all sorts of fabrication shop setups for metal working, fiberglass, etc. all in the same huge room.

In the back part of their building they have other miscellaneous things such as dinghy boats owned by staff including some A-Cats along with the AC45′s #4 and #5.  Out here we were allowed to snap some photo’s including one of the group leaning against #5.

From here we wandered around outside checking out their chase boats and some more dinghies (including another A-Cat which is the same make as Ken’s current boat, a DNA).  As we headed out there Ken recognized Olympic silver medal sailor and multiple times Tornado world champion  Darren Bundock and managed to strike up a less than short conversation with him, much to the chagrin of our guide who had trouble keeping Ken under her control.

The rest of the trip wandering around San Francisco was great too, while checking out the waterfront later that day including where the Americas Cup main area is we encountered others from the tour again so I think everyone enjoyed the town.  Tara and I stayed another night and got to watch the new AC72 sailing around the next day tacking and gybing right in front of the Aquatic Park with their herd of chase boats following along.  It was interesting to see that Team Emirates also had a chase boat out there keeping a distance but following along, seemingly keeping an eye on their competition.

Thank you so much for putting that together.  I really think it worked out very well with everyone being able to use what they won and genuinely enjoying the entire tour and trip.


Regatta Report—7th “Live on the Edge” – June 8 & 9, 2013

What a great weekend to have a regatta: 80 degrees, 12 – 18 knots of wind and 28 cats and tris on the water. Our first arrivals showed up on Friday and they were welcomed by Joanne Jones and Larry Cox who offered the now traditional Picnic at the Gate. On Saturday all went according to schedule. After our PRO Richard Johnson gave all the instructions at the skippers meeting, we were out on the water by 1:00pm. The wind strength was steady and allowed for courses the full length of the lake. There were holes and shifts all over the lake, finding the best course was not easy. Sailors not familiar with Fern Ridge were taken by surprise.

Richard misjudged the speed of the Low Portsmouth handicap fleet somewhat, who sailed the course, finished and were back at the start before he realized it. This is the group with the super light singlehanded A-cats, the large F-31 trimaran and the double handed F-18. In the conditions we had these were in their element.

But the other fleets were no slouches either: the one design Hobie 16 fleet, the single handed Prindle 16 one design fleet, the high Portsmouth handicap fleet and the two Hobie 14s in their own one design fleet. They all ripped up the course. Richard had fine tuned his timing quickly and on Saturday the fleets had 3 races and the Low Portsmouth even got in a fourth race. All in time for some R & R and a beer, before the pizza dinner.

The evening provided for the raffle, with as Grand Prize a tour for 10 people of the Oracle Team USA America’s Cup base in San Francisco. The five lucky winners of two seats each on the tour started immediately comparing calendars to find a suitable date for all. We hope to have report from them after the tour.

Sunday the wind was up from Saturday and everyone was out on the water by 10 am. The start sequence was changed to put the Low Portsmouth fleet at the end. The top mark (with offset mark) located just below the dam, proved tricky. Too tricky for some who happened to round the top mark at the wrong moment and capsized. It was pretty gusty there. Rescue boats were always nearby, but no one needed assistance. Thanks for being there!

Again Richard managed to get each fleet three long races and back on shore by 3:00 pm. In the Low Portsmouth fleet, Ken Marshack announced Sunday he had finally “dialed in” his boat and it was true, he sailed away from the fleet every time and had three bullets, securing his fleet victory. In the High Portsmouth fleet Kelly Havig was very consistent with only one “hick-up”: a sixth place in race 2 (what happened there?). Tim Webb, sailing with his son, had a very similar result in the Hobie-16 fleet. Good thing there is throw out, but neither of them needed it to secure their first place. In the Prindle 16 fleet, Dan Nicholson did love the wind and was untouchable once he got two races in and found his pace. The two Hobie 14’s traded places, each of them carrying a race day with three wins. Even though the fleet winners were very consistent, during the race there were many position changes and there were close fights for second and third places. Overall, great racing!

A unique feature of the “Live on the Edge” Multihull Regatta is that we randomly group the participants in teams of four boats, spread over the fleets, whose combined ranking is calculated into a team score. The teams are identified on the water by flags, allowing the team mates to check on their results and interact. It is just good fun and gives recognition and bragging rights to the winning team.

The overall winner of the “Live on the Edge” Pennant, was our own Dan Nicholson, who also won the Prindle 16 fleet. Congratulations! He just stayed ahead of Ken Marshack, who’s one third place finish kept him from getting on top. Dan will have a free registration in 2014 when he will have to defend the Pennant.

Any Regatta requires a lot of volunteers to make it happen. I would like to thank all those who were so willing to put in their time and effort: Joanne Jones and Larry Cox, who really carried the regatta. From collecting raffle prizes, securing the trophies to boat moving and the Friday picnic, they were everywhere. And Larry still managed to race as well!

Roeland Kapsenberg, regatta chair;
Dan Nicholson, who secured the Ninkasi beer donation, moved boats and wherever else he was needed;
Shelley Johnson and Nick Tabet for Saturday’s breakfast;
Richard and Marie Johnson for Saturday’s pizza (and much more) dinner;
Matt Fleischman and his crew of Dave and Carla Lux, and Charlie Magee for Sunday’s breakfast;
Race Committee boat: Richard Johnson, Andy & Karen Nousen, Nan Weed;
Rescue boats: Rex Ballenger, Ron Fish, Gale Morgan, Dave Brown, Salty Green, Glen Hughes, Gordon Mattatall, Nadine Powell;
Finish Boat: Kenn & Chris Meneely, Jaime Skeen, Joanne Jones.

Regatta Report 2012

Living on the edge of our patience in wait for wind, is an appropriate summary of the “Live on the Edge” Multihull Regatta.  While on Friday the early arrivals were greeted with very strong winds and squalls, on Saturday the wind failed to build despite the efforts of the Race Committee to set out a course for the boats drifting in anticipation.

Ultimately the waiting was called off and all headed in to taste the cold Ninkasi beer (donated!) and the now famous pizza dinner. Sunday started out in similar fashion, but ultimately the Race Committee was able to set out a short course in a very, very light and fickle breeze. But after the first fleet was sent off, the wind changed direction and further starts were called off. Eventually a new course could be set and the 4 remaining fleets got their start in still light wind and enormous shifts. By mid-afternoon the long awaited North breeze settled in and we did finish the Regatta with some great sailing on yet another course. Race Committee set a long course and made sure all boats could take advantage of the best conditions of the Regatta. Hard work for Committee and the boats setting the marks, but a great effort to make something from very difficult conditions. And what a great way to end the Regatta!

Turnout was great, we had 36 boats racing, split over 5 fleets (Results here and Photos here):

The fast fleet, with Portsmouth rating of 70 or less, consisting of 5 A-cats and two F-18s; the high Portsmouth Fleet, the largest fleet with 9 entries, all boats with a Portsmouth rating over 70, such as Prindle 16, Hobie 18, Sea Spray, Hobie 17; Hobie 16 fleet; Hobie 14 fleet; Trimarans, F27, F24 and Tremolino.

The new feature of team racing was well appreciated. Teams of four boats had been randomly selected and their final ranking was used in a calculation to account for the fleet size in which they raced to come up with a team total. It was cause for good conversation around the beer kegs and connection between the various fleets.

Overall winner of the perpetual “Live on the Edge” Pennant were our local sailors Phil Collins and his daughter Kristin in their Tremolino. They were presented with the Pennant by last year’s winner Laura Sullivan.

Great thanks to all the sailors for attending. Some of you made a very long trip to be here. From as far as Seattle and the SF Bay area!

Thanks to EYC Ground keepers, Kerrie Crabb and Leslie Townsend for the preparation of the grounds for our guests. It was immaculate, despite the tree that came down on Friday in a squall.

Thanks to our sponsors for their donations for the raffle. It generates money for the Multihull Fleet to attract more sailors to the regatta and to Multihull sailing in general.

And last but not least, thanks to all our volunteers, who are invaluable to make our Regatta run smooth and keep the sailors “fed and watered”:

Regatta organization: Larry Cox, Dan Nicholson, Charlie Magee, Matt Fleischmann, Ron Wilson, Phil Collins, Roeland Kapsenberg
Friday Greeter’s Picnic: Joanne Jones, Larry Cox
Saturday Breakfast: Nick Tabet and Shelly Johnson
Saturday Dinner: Richard and Marie Johnson, Phil and Kirstin Collins,
Sunday Breakfast: Matt Fleischmann, Carla and Dave Lux, Jenny and Charlie Magee, Phil and Kristin Collins

Race Committee
Start Boat: Rich Johnson, Leta Sellers, Chip & Mary Balough, Christine Kollmorgan and Chip Zachem, Irmgard Clevenger
Finish Boat: Ken & Chris Meneely Bill & Vicky Boyce, JoAnne Jones, Jaime Skeen
Rescue and Mark boats: Dave Brown, Gale Morgan, Phill Root, Salty Green, Ron Fish, Glen Hughes

See you again next year!